Earthen Craft Pot - 8.5" Amber Brown
- 100% Fair Trade
- In stock, ready to ship
- Inventory on the way
HANDMADE IN GHANA
These woven baskets are ideal for any room in your home.
Mix and match them with other woven baskets and accent furniture for the perfect style addition to a corner of your bedroom, bathroom, home office, or living room. This intricate design will surely leave a lasting impression on your home decoration.
- Approximately 8.5" W x 8.5 H
- Fair Trade
- Made in Ghana
- Products are made of elephant grass
- Organic dyes are used to dye the grass
- Profiled weaver tag is attached to each product
*These delicately textured and handcrafted woven baskets were made by groups of women in intimate communities in the Bolgatanga region of Ghana in an ethical, fair trade environment.
- To clean or re-shape your basket, simply wet it with cool water, shape it as needed, and allow it to air dry.
- The basket should be watered once a year to hydrate the straw and keep it supple.
- Avoid using chemicals or detergents.
Meaning & Purpose
The material used for weaving in Bolgatanga is elephant grass, this grass is only available in the southern part of Ghana, Kumasi to be precise. The grasses are harvested and dried up, a process which might take up to three (3) days. It is then tied together in big bundles and transported to the Bolga markets. This is where most of the weavers buy their raw materials. The straw grass is further processed before weaving begins.
- Straw is collected and splitted then rolled/twisted for texture.
- Straw is dyed to give a vibrant color before weaving begins.