Black Fringed Raffia Drink Coasters, Set of 4
- 100% Fair Trade
- In stock, ready to ship
- Inventory on the way
HANDMADE in UGANDA
Entertain guests (or just your morning coffee) in style with these gorgeous, uniquely natural & absorbent coasters!
These coasters are essential for styling your home and hosting dinner parties. They are perfect for your wine glass in the evening, or your morning coffee mug! Display on your bar cart as a stunning statement piece or match with your favorite table linens. These stylish coasters absorb moisture, keep your indoor and outdoor furniture looking super stylish.
These delicately textured and woven coasters were made by groups of women in small cooperatives across rural areas of Uganda in an ethical, fair trade environment. They weave together grass and raffia using a sewing needle to achieve these incredible pieces of art.
- Set of 4
- Fair Trade, Nest Seal of Transparency
- Made in Uganda
- Products are made from all natural fibers of raffia and banana fibers
- Organic dyes are used to dye the raffia
- Profiled weaver tag is attached to each product
*All products are made by hand with love and vary slightly in color and size.
Made in an ethical, fair trade environment. Handwoven by a cooperative of women located in rural Uganda this one of a kind piece takes a day to complete.
- Made of natural fibers and grass; do not submerge in water.
- If necessary, use a damp cloth to wipe or spot clean the basket.
- Avoid using chemicals or detergents.
Sun and fading
- Due to being all natural fibers, keep dyed products out of direct sunlight for long periods of time to avoid natural fading.
- All natural products with little or no coloring do well in direct sunlight.
- Avoid soaking, if spilled on and soaked, ensure to pat dry and air out, or mold could build up and the natural dyes could run.
Meaning & Purpose
Uganda, officially known as the Republic of Uganda, is a landlocked country located in the central/east region of Africa. It borders Kenya, South Sudan, D.R. of the Congo, Tanzania, and Rwanda. It is geographically known for Lake Victoria which makes up for a large portion of its southern region. Uganda is within the Nile Basin, which causes equatorial climate conditions within the country. Uganda gained its independence from the UK in 1962 and the current capital is Kampala. Uganda is known for coffee, tea and other raw material exports, and now, today baskets and artisan craft are becoming a pride of the nation.
Kazi exists to create fair living wages, good working conditions and market access for artisans. Some might call this “fair trade”, we call it good business.
We are the first of 5 companies to receive the highly regarded Nest Seal. Every year we undergo an onsite audit in each country and with each cooperative to earn the right to mark our products with this important seal.
When you see the Nest Seal you have the confidence to know products have been ethically handcrafted in a home or small workshop. This means fair wages are paid, good working conditions are provided, there are no children or forced labor in the workforce, materials are traced and fairly sourced and all aspects of the production and material processes (like dyeing) are in consideration of the environment and safe working environments.
U.S. shipping starts at $5 per order.
Orders typically ship within 3-7 business days.
International shipping is available. Rates calculated at checkout.