27" Extra Large Steeple Gray Modern Woven Wall Art Plate
- 100% Fair Trade
- Low stock - 3 items left
- Inventory on the way
HANDMADE IN RWANDA
Need a globally inspired reboot? Our wall plates are just for you!
These beautifully intricate wall plates are designed to enhance and magnify any room. Leave the sweetgrass plate as a stand-alone piece or pair with other plates or bowls to transform your space. Match to throw pillows in your living room or bed set in your bedroom. Each of these breathtaking designs was made with courage and heart by a woman in rural Rwanda. She hand-stitched a loop on the back of each basket so you too, can enjoy this piece easily on your wall.
They are also a thoughtful and meaningful personalized gift for any occasion.
- Approximately 27” D
- Fair Trade, Nest Seal of Transparency
- Made in Rwanda
- Products are made from all natural fibers of sisal and sweetgrass
- Organic dyes are used to dye the sisal
- Profiled weaver tag is attached to each product
- Hang loop included on the back, ready to hang
*All products are made by hand with love and vary slightly in color and size.
Made of the highest quality natural sisal fibers in an ethical, fair trade environment. Sisal is wound stitch by stitch around a small sweet grass bundle. Handwoven by a woman in remote regions of Rwanda.
- Made of natural fibers and grass; do not submerge in water.
- If necessary, use a damp cloth to wipe or spot clean the basket.
- Avoid using chemicals or detergents.
Sun and fading
- Due to being all natural fibers, keep dyed products out of direct sunlight for long periods of time to avoid natural fading.
- All natural products with little or no coloring do well in direct sunlight.
- Avoid temperature changes when possible.
- If products are being stored for more than 2 weeks, please keep in a temperature controlled environment, elevated off of a concrete floor to avoid fluctuating cold and warm temperatures that could create mold.
Meaning & Purpose
The intricate designs and flawless work of an experienced weaver is never the result of luck. Rather, Rwandan women owe their skills to the women before them who passed on the knowledge from generation to generation—mother to daughter, grandmother to child. As young weavers learn from their elders, they quickly realize the weaving process is a painstaking one.
Passing on basket weaving to young women carries the weight of upholding a time-honored practice and an age-old rite of passage. Baskets decorate nearly every Rwandan home, for they are one of the most important symbols of family, friendship, good fortune, and proud cultural heritage.
Kazi exists to create fair living wages, good working conditions and market access for artisans. Some might call this “fair trade”, we call it good business.
We are the first of 5 companies to receive the highly regarded Nest Seal. Every year we undergo an onsite audit in each country and with each cooperative to earn the right to mark our products with this important seal.
When you see the Nest Seal you have the confidence to know products have been ethically handcrafted in a home or small workshop. This means fair wages are paid, good working conditions are provided, there are no children or forced labor in the workforce, materials are traced and fairly sourced and all aspects of the production and material processes (like dyeing) are in consideration of the environment and safe working environments.
Shipping starts at $5 per order.
Orders typically ship within 3-7 business days. At this time, we do not ship internationally.